Friday, August 13, 2010

Chapter 7: The infamous dinner

This trip is kind of hard to write about. My detail oriented mind wants to record every nuance and sensation, but there are simply too many and I have too little time to record them all.

Last night was spent bouncing around the back of Ron's Jeep on a kind of “Police Activity.” It is a civilian police auxiliary which apparently has search and arrest powers. There were a couple traffic stops, some foot work checking people's ID and a lot of bouncing around on rough dirt tracks looking for people doing things they did not want to be seen doing. To be honest, I'm not sure what to think about the whole thing. While Ron is pretty professional about it, some aspects- like a bunch of tough looking guys in civilian clothes riding around in a police van seemed to have more in common with a vigilante group than a semi-pro official law enforcement group.

I'm kind of glad the night was quiet. If things had started happening I really don't think I'd have been any help except as a distraction. Either I under value my physical abilities, or other people over value them. Probably a bit of both, but lacking any significant training, I think it's safe to say that I should not do this again. And, if I do, I should fix it so the sunburned part of my back is not constantly rubbing against the seat.

Yesterday's main event was supposed to be 90 minutes of quality time on the shooting range with a Tavor assault rifle, Glilon (Galil SAR) rifle, and an Uzi. That got cut significantly by a bunch of customers at Ron's shop. It was further cut when the secretary with the keys to the walk in gun locker (I want one.) decided to leave an hour early meaning we had to hurry to return the weapons.

I got two mags though the Uzi which was fun to shoot, even though I had to keep it in semi. Predictably, the recoil was very gentle, I just wish I could have done a little rock and roll. The Glilon also had nice handling. I only got one magazine though that one. I made a nice grouping (By my standards) but it was a bit low. I think I needed a little coaching on the sights and my stance. The Tavor was a surprise. Again, I was shooting low and considering I was using an optic it's definitely an issue of stance and shooting competence. Ron told me I was flinching a bit. The recoil from the Tavor surprised me, it did not knock me in the shoulder, but it was hard to keep on target. Probably due to it's lightness and bullpup design. I could really have benefited from a vertical grip to control the muzzle better. Or just some of the training which I would have gotten with more time. With luck, there will be another chance at the range.

I also got a chance with each of Ron's pistols, a Glock 17 and a Bul M5. I did OK by my standards with the Glock, I needed some coaching on my trigger squeeze as my rounds kept going to the left or right of the steel poppers. I did much better with the Bul. (An Israeli made pistol which looks like a Colt 1911 but is chambered in either 9mm or .40 caliber.) I was able to go four for four with the poppers. Four rounds, four targets, and the rest of the magazine to empty into the cardboard cutouts.

Tonight will be the infamous Shabbat Dinner. Enough food for an army, and all of it...*droooooooool*

No comments: