Friday, August 22, 2008

A brief word on weapons

Most of the weapons I saw in use with IDF soldiers are not in fact M4's as they appear initially. Closer inspection reveals that they lack the brass deflector, have a slightly different forward assist and have a different barrel. I got a close look at a few and the factory mark reads "M-16 A1." However, they do have an M4 length barrel (or shorter) the telescoping stock (aslo slightly different from the M4) and the barrel has different external charectaristics. The hand guards are also A2 style.

True there are M4's in service, but not as many. I also saw far fewer red dot sights than I thought.

I only saw 4 or 5 Tavors. I talked with Ron about them and apparently they are not quite as soldier proof as people would like. Something which may be slowing the adoption.

Gotta go, people waiting to use the hotel's compter. Later I'll have feedback on the FAMAS from a French Army veteran.

No comments: